To mark my 3rd Mother’s Day,
“these are a few of my favourite things”
about being my 2 year old son’s “mama” at the moment…
* I love that he now tells me he loves me (“wah view”)!
* I love that he helps carry my lunch bag in from the car and take my shoes off after a long day at work!
* I love that his eyes light up and he just about bursts with excitement when we cook / bake together in the ‘real’ kitchen!
* I love that he’s so used to singing and dancing with me, that during a Mother’s Day ‘performance’ at childcare- his first being in front of an audience, he walked towards me via the front-centre and into the other mums watching, doing the moves, encouraging me to join in!
* I love that he loves to hold my hand when he falls asleep!
* I love how we often break into giggles together- even if it is time to settle down to sleep …these spontaneous, funny moments are precious- and I think we both must sleep better after a laugh:-)
* I love that he tells me (with words and actions) when I need to stop, wait, and go whilst driving!
* I love running around the park and the beach together, whizzy-ing around, doing ‘animal walks’, ‘aeroplanes’, ‘silly falls’ and playing ‘hide and seek’!
* I love snuggling and cuddling!
* I love that he makes me constantly try to be a better person, inspires, surprises, teaches and amazes me!
* I love him so much I think my heart may explode!
So far today, we’ve had cuddles, music (including bells on ankles, maracas, microphones & xylophones!), a special breaky together at home (thanks daddy!) & a swimming lesson (thanks daddy!) while mama did a few laps. …And it’s only 10am! woohoo!! Soon we’ll dress up as an animal for a friend’s 1st birthday, followed by dinner with nana. But before all that, we’ll get cooking together, making a special chocolate, apple & peach cake for tonight (if it works out well – we’ll post the recipe!)
Feeling grateful on Mother’s Day
Thank you to my lovely husband, my own (super) mum, my mum-friends and my beautiful mums’ group who have been such an incredible support to me along this motherhood journey, and to all our family and friends – “it takes a village to raise a child”!
May we always remember fondly those amazing mothers who are no longer with us, and may those in powerful positions remember the mothers in their lives and always make decisions for the health, wellbeing and future of mothers all around the world, as their work is vital for a better future for us all!
HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY!
Beautiful Mother’s Day words from The Natural Parent Magazine…
Beautiful Mother’s Day words seen on Play Dr Mom, written by Dr Christina Hibbert…
Finally, as a late addition to this post: the recipe to our little cupcakes:
Chocolate, Apple & Peach Cakes
Dry ingredients –
3 cups plain flour
1/3 cup caster sugar
3 heaped teaspoons baking soda
3 heaped teaspoons baking soda
2 large tablespoons cocoa
few shakes cinnamon
Wet ingredients –
3/4 cup milk
100g softened/melted butter
3/4 cup peach juice/syrup
1 cup peaches in juice (diced)
2 grated apples
Mix up well and pour into a muffin tray (or 2!) – Makes about 20 muffins
Top each with …
1 teaspoon brown sugar
a sprinkle of choc chips
Bake for about 20-25 mins at 180’C, ice once cool with chocolate icing, and decorate with marshmallow and white chocolate button flowers (photo to be uploaded soon-ish!)
There’s lots of toddler baking fun to be had with this invention of a mixture! – Sifting, grating (with hand on hand assistance), holding the bowl still with one hand and mixing with the other, pouring, adding, counting, separating the cupcake holders into the trays…
These cakes were a bit of an experiment – and they rocked if I do say so myself! Extra ‘delish’ and decadent served warm with ice–cream, and hey, what mama doesn’t deserve a little bit of dessert indulgence?