To start things off, here are some givens:
- Look at the clouds and take turns imagining what they resemble.
- Make up stories with your child, building on each other’s additions.
- Arrange play dates with others to foster social and imaginative play.
- Listen to music with your child and act out how it sounds (sleepy, happy).
- Take turns “being” things that begin with each letter of the alphabet.
- Sometimes be your child’s play partner, sometimes just observe.
- Use your own imagination and awaken your own inner child.
…So, while I continue to look into the questions above, our little boy may be a great chef one day…. or a truck driver, pilot, fire fighter, train driver, animal trainer, gardener, musician, puppy dog, kitten or giraffe! Actually, whatever he will become, he will do so with the developmental tools he needs, so long as we can keep the imaginative play opportunities rich and abundant!
What ideas have you come across to fuel imaginative play?