Although I grew up in a beautiful, large, extremely busy family home with 4 younger brothers , our little ‘triangle family’ (hubbie, myself and our spunky, curious and adventurous little boy) is certainly well accustomed to small space living. In fact, we kind of love it!
Pre-baby, my husband and I lived in a number of one room and studio apartments in the UK and Australia, and now we live in a small, 2 bed unit, which has a narrow section of concreted outdoor space attached. I think it’s important to acknowledge that to many, many families and cultures in the world our home is by no means ‘small’, nevertheless, I have made it my mission to master the art of ‘small space living’ and actually turn it into an advantage!
5 Reasons Why I Love Small Space Living…
1. We only ever hold onto what we need and want (no space to store extra, unused stuff ‘just in case’)
2. We are challenged to use the space creatively
3. We are encouraged to step out, get active and connect with our local community constantly – using parks, beaches, bushland, walking and bike tracks, zoos/farms, local pools etc… (and consequently, not stick around and create more, unnecessary mess and dirt at home)
4. We can monitor and switch toys around according to the interests and developmental milestones of the moment, making great use of local toy and book libraries, toy swaps, hard rubbish collections, and charity/2nd hand shops.
5. It is cheaper! – And with half our family living on the other side of the world, those ‘extra’ pennies are welcome additions to our ongoing (and increasingly expensive) travel fund!
I love to post about kids play space ideas and activities which have worked for us, and whilst most posts on this site fit perfectly with small space living, here are a few of my favourites…
Who knows… we may one day enjoy a large veggie patch – but for now, a cute potted garden and supporting local farmers suit us just fine! We don’t need to live anywhere bigger or grander, and I will debate anyone who thinks kids’ play is compromised unless you live in a huge house and garden.
Do you love small space living with kids too? I’d love to hear about your small space play adventures!