Do you have a local toy library?
They are a brilliant community resource!
Toy libraries are perfect for:
- developmental ages: babies to preschoolers.
- providing lots of different play opportunities on a budget. Commercially available toys can be very expensive – whereas a toy library annual membership is minimal, with options available depending on how many toys you wish to loan at a time. Also, members can contribute to the operation of the toy library through a small number of duty hours for a lower membership rate!
- the growing, changing needs and wants of babies and young children, who often may be interested in a particular toy for a few weeks (or until that puzzle is mastered), and then be ready to try something different.
- the environment (a sustainable approach to toy use).
- families living in small apartments (like us!) with extremely limited storage for toys! You can borrow toys as you are ready for them, enjoy playing with them, then return them !
If you live in Victoria/Australia -you can check where your nearest, local toy library is, as well as find out more about toy libraries in general via this website: www.toylibraries.org.au
If you live elsewhere, I’d love to know if you also have access to toy libraries.
What’s your favourite toy library toy?