- Talking about what the traffic light colours mean
- Gathering cars, construction trucks, planes etc for a bit of ‘things that go’ action!
- Guessing/ memory games – turning the rocks over to the black sides and finding the colours…
- Creating patterns
- Filling in shapes/ pictures on plain paper (The snake in the photo here was inspired by the great Dreamtime Rainbow Serpent!)
- Stacking … and of course – crashing!
- Manipulating between the fingers and swapping between hands – being rocks, they are cool to touch and slightly ‘weighted’ making them curious sensory objects to explore.
How cool do these collections of coloured rocks and vehicles look? We’ve had a lot of fun with this colour sorting practise.
The rocks have also found their way into train carriages as cargo, and been lined up to become trains themselves.
If you enjoyed this post, you may also like to check out:
Cereal Box City Dominoes